Razer Phone now official TWRP support from TeamWin. The smartphone which is designed and focused on gamers can now be rooted using latest TWRP 3.2.1. By installing TWRP Custom recovery on your Razer Phone unlocks many possibilities of tweaks or mode; you can easily install a custom ROM, take nandroid backups, NVRAM backup etc.
In the guide ahead, we have put together the complete step in which you can install TWRP custom recovery on your Razer Phone. Unlike any other Android smartphone, installing TWRP custom recovery on Razer Phone is slightly different from previous methods we may have seen on this blog or others.
See Also: How to unlock bootloader and install TWRP on OnePlus 5T
What’s New in TWRP 3.2.1
- MIUI fixes(cryptomilk)
- Better android 8.0 compatibility in ROM trees (Dees_Troy)
- Fix missing library in Oreo (nkk71)
- Fix inconsistent SDcard naming (DevUt)
- Default to TWRP restore instead of adb backup restore to fix restore
Disclaimer: Make sure you’ve backed up all important files / data on your device before proceeding to installing TWRP on your device. All tool, custom roms or mods mentioned or used in this site’s tutorial belongs to their respective Devs. This site or its author will not be responsible if you damage your device.
Before we can proceed to installing TWRP 3.2.1, we need to unlock bootloader on your Razer Phone.
How to Unlock Bootloader On Your Razer Phone
2. Enable USB Debbuging mode on your Razer Phone
3. Enable OEM unlock on your device. Goto settings> Developer options and check OEM unlock
4. Launch adb and fast from desktop icon / hold shift key in adb and fastboot installation folder and right click then select open command windows here
5. while the phone is connected to the computer, type in the command.
adb reboot bootloader
6. Once your device boots up in the bootloader, type in the command
fastboot flashing unlock
7. You’ll get a notification pop-up requesting comfirmation to unlock bootloader, select yes using the power button and navigate using the volume buttons
8. Once process completes, reboot and enjoy
Congrats on unlocking bootloader on your Razer Phone, now, we’ll continue to installing TWRP custom recovery on it.
How to Install TWRP 3.2.1 Custom Recovery On Razer Phone
1. Launch adb and fastboot tool you used in unlocking your bootloader
Now, turn off your device.
3. Boot your device into fastboot / download mode (hold down the down volume key while the phone is off and connect a USB cable which is connected to your PC
4. Now, run this command through adb.
adb shell getprop ro.boot.slot_suffix.
The command should return either
5. Turn off the device by holding the power button for 5 to 15 seconds.
6. Boot your device into fastboot / download mode again.
7. Now, we need to switch the boot slot. The suffix you found in Step 5, you would have to switch to the opposite one. If it was a you got in the output, switch to b and similarly, if it was b then you need to switch to a.
So, if you had boot slot a previously:
If you had boot slot b previously:
8. Copy the download TWRP image and installer zip to adb and fastboot folder. Now type in the command.
fastboot flash boot twrp-3.2.1-0-cheryl.img && fastboot reboot
9. Your device should now boot into TWRP. Now, we need to push the Installer ZIP file to your SD card directory. Copy the installer zip to the same folder with adb and fastboot Do so, by typing in the following command.
adb push twrp-installer-3.2.1-0-cheryl.zip /sdcard
10. Now you need to install the ZIP package you just pushed. Do that by tapping on Install. Select the ZIP package and confirm installation.
That’s it, you’ve successfully installed TWRP recovery on your Razer phone.