Its been over a month now since Instagram introduced a group video calling feature, the Facebook-owned photography platform also launched a new TV app (IGTV) recently. IGTV was set up for users that wish to share videos that last longer than 60 seconds. Now, however, WhatsApp which is also owned by the social networking and social media giant has gotten a group calling feature.
WhatsApp Group Calling For Call And Videos
Initially, the group calling feature was first announced back in May at Facebook’s F8 event. Now, the group calling feature has been made public for Android and iOS users.
In an official blog post, WhatsApp explained the feature has been designed and implemented in a manner which makes it easy for users to start group calling in different network conditions.
With this new feature, WhatsApp is set to compete with the tech giants FaceTime feature, of course, Apple which is said to appear on its devices in the iOS 12 software update. However, the FaceTime allows users to connect up to 31 contacts while the WhatsApp group calling is still limited to only 4 contacts. To ensure privacy, all the group calls on WhatsApp are end to end encrypted.
How to use WhatsApp group calling for voice and video.
- To start making a group video call on WhatsApp, make sure you have the latest version of the app installed.
- Now, start a voice call or video with a user
- An “Add participant” button will appear at the top right corner of the call interface.
- Tap on the “Add participant” button to add another contact you want to connect.
- Repeat step 4 to add more users
That’s it, now you’ve successfully started a conference call with WhatsApp.
So, what do you think of the group calling feature? Share your thoughts with us in the comments.