Are you searching for how to disable Windows 10 automatic updates permanently on your computer? If yes, then you’ve landed on the right page. In this article, we’ll be sharing simple guide to stop Windows 10 from downloading updates in the background.
Windows 10 has been known to automatically download and install all updates. This includes security updates, feature updates, and driver updates provided through Windows Update. This is not the same in the previous editions of the Microsoft Owned Operating System.
In earlier Windows versions up to the windows 8.1, users had the option to disable System update but this option was disabled in Windows 10. However, with the release of Windows 10 version 1903, Microsoft added a feature that lets users pause the Windows 10 update for 7 days after which it then continues to download. What makes it even more interesting is that you can now decide when to install the update. This means Windows won’t force you to install the new update.
There are several ways in which you can disable automatic updates but first we’ll be looking at the advantages of Windows 10 system update, disadvantage and then we are going to look at the ways to disable windows 10 automatic updates.
Why you should allow Windows 10 system updates?
The advantages you get buy allowing Windows 10 to download system updates is the same as it predecessors every other operating system out there.
- Windows updates brings new features to your device as soon as they are released.
- They boost system performance.
- They brings new security patches to keep your PC secure.
- They also saves you the stress of manually downloading a fresh copy of Windows to install.
Why Avoid Windows 10 System Updates?
Like i said, system updates are really good. But you would agree that some updates are harmful. I call this kind of updates ‘evil updates’. Allowing Windows 10 to download and install updates can become a burden when you’ll in the middle of an important task, like forcing you to install the updates after downloading in the background which can result in a OS crash.
Some updates go wrong and you may may end up losing your data to it.
More importantly, sometimes you are on a limited data plan too or perhaps your data plan is budgeted to do some online activities, an automatic system update could just tap out of it and exhaust your data unexpectedly and i believe this is often the reason many Windows 10 users wants to avoid those updates.
How to disable Windows 10 automatic updates permanently
Here, we’ll be sharing three methods which can be used to stop Windows 10 from downloading updates in the background in this post. Don’t forget system updates are really important and although it can lead to disaster on your machine sometimes, you can now decide on when to download and install the updates for yourself.
Without further ado, let’s see the methods we can use to disable Windows 10 automatic update.
First Method – Disable Windows Update Services
Understand the limitations of this method. While disabling the automatic update service will temporarily halt any Windows 10 cumulative updates, the service will re-enable itself after a certain amount of time. Here are the directions:
- Press the Windows logo key + R at the same time to invoke the Run box.
- Type services.msc and press Enter.
- Scroll down to Windows Update, and double-click it.
- Double-click on Windows update and you’ll get a new Windows.
- On the startup type, select Disabled.
- Apply and OK to save the settings.
Second Method – Change The Setting Of The Group Policy Editor
The Group Policy feature is not available in the Home edition. So, only when you run Windows 10 Professional, Enterprise, or Education, you can use the Group Policy Editor to change the settings to prevent Windows 10 from automatically updating.
Read also: How to Change the Default Font in Windows 10
The group policy editor will notify you of new updates without automatically installing them.
- Press the Windows logo key + R then type gpedit.msc and click OK.
- Go to Computer Configuration » Administrative Templates » Windows Components » Windows Update.
- Double-click Configure Automatic Updates.
- Select Disabled in Configured Automatic Updates on the left, and click Apply and
- OK to disable the Windows automatic update feature.
Note: If you’re running a newer version of Windows OS, you may not find this option. If need to update your Windows version later, you can repeat the steps above, then select Enabled to turn on this feature, so that you can continue to download the updates.
Third Method – Meter Your Network Connection
Metering your Windows 10 network connection is one of the best and sure way of stopping automatic updates. In other to disable Windows 10 updates over metered connections, your computer must be connected to a WiFi. You can try this to stop Windows 10 automatic updates.
- Click the Start button at the bottom left on your desktop, then click the Settings app.
- Click Network & Internet.
- Click WiF in the left pane, then click the name of your Wi-Fi connection.
- Click on manage known networks.
- Click to turn on Set as metered connection.
Here’s a video guide that explain how to set metered connection your Windows 10.
That’s it, now you can use your PC without worrying over Windows 10 automatic update.
If you find our guide on how to disable Windows 10 update helpful kindly like and share. Also, don’t forget to subscribe for more updates. Cheers
JOIN OUR TELEGRAM CHANNEL — CLICK HERE