Google introduced a new security feature in Chrome browser in the last quarter of 2020 called Safety check. This feature allows you to quickly check for compromised passwords, harmful browser extensions, turn on enhanced safe browsing, and more.
A lot of us have good antivirus engine installed and are used to running scheduled scans, however, this does not cover our online safety. In this article, we’ll discuss how to run a Safety check on Chrome and enjoy a secured web experience.
Steps to Run a Safety Check on Chrome
1. First off, launch the Google Chrome browser on your desktop and go to settings. To navigate to Chrome settings, tap on the three dots at the top right corner of the browser, and select ‘Settings’ from the listed options.
2. In Chrome settings, you’ll find the ‘Safety Check’ listed amongst the available options displayed on the top left side of the settings panel. Or you can simply scroll down a little to find it. Once you’ve found the Safety check option, tap on check now.
3. Safety check tool will now begin to scan and check your browser for potential security threats such as compromised password, harmful extensions and also checks for new updates available for Chrome web browser.
4. If the Safety Check tool finds any harmful browser extension or compromised passwords, it will display the result on the same screen. Also, if there’s a new update for Chrome, the Safety check tool will automatically download and install the new update.
5. Now, that you have seen the scan results, you are expected to take necessary actions like updating your compromised passwords and uninstall harmful browser extensions. If a new update has been download and installed, you’ll get a prompt to relaunch the browser.
Q. How to run Safety Check on Chrome for Android?
A. The steps to running a safety check on Android is similar to what we’ve explained above.
Q. How to run Safety Check on Chrome for iOS?
A. The steps is the same as for Android.
That’s all on how to run a Safety Check on the Google Chrome web browser. The same procedure can be followed on MacBooks. If you find this article helpful, kindly use any of the social share button below and share with your friends.