A few weeks ago, Samsung was reportedly launching a second foldable smartphone after Samsung Galaxy Fold, the Galaxy Z flip. Now, it is official, Samsung at its Unpacked event 2020 has launched the Galaxy Z Flip and will arrive in the market February 14.
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip launches with a 6.7-inch foldable OLED display which when folded in half turns into a clamshell-sized device and fits easily into a pocket.
The Galaxy Z Flip uses Samsungs “Infinity Flex Display” featuring Samsung’s proprietary bendable Ultra-Thin Glass (UTG). One of the highlighting features of Galaxy Z Flip is, what Samsung calls “Flex Mode” which splits the screen into two 4-inches screens for viewing images and YouTube videos.
Galaxy Z Flip also features a secondary 1.1-inch OLED display on the outside for showing notifications when the smartphone is folded. The display can also be used as a viewfinder for the smartphone’s camera.
In order to make the Galaxy Z Flip easy when folding, Samsung has incorporated a dual CAM mechanism for offering a Hideaway Hinge which, according to the company, will let device stay open at a range of angles, like a laptop screen.
In the camera department, the Galaxy Z Flip is equipped with a 10MP F2.4 selfie camera and a dual rear camera setup with a 12MP ultra-wide camera and a 12MP wide-angle camera. The camera features night mode to take photos in dark conditions.
Galaxy Z Flip is powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon 855+ (7nm 64-bit Octa-Core Processor, 2.9GHz (Maximum Clock Speed) + 2.41GHz+ 1.7GHz), it comes with 8GB RAM and 256GB internal storage. The device runs the latest Android 10 OS with OneUI skin.
Under the hood, there’s a 3300mAh (typical) dual battery with wireless charging compatibility
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip Quick Specs
- Display: Main 6.7” FHD+ Dynamic AMOLED Display 21.9:9 aspect ratio, Resolution 2636×1080, 425ppi | Secondary 1.1” Super AMOLED Display, Resolution 300×112, 303ppi
- Dimension: Folded: 73.6 x 87.4 x 17.3mm (Hinge) – 15.4mm (Sagging) | Unfolded: 73.6 x 167.3 x 7.2mm – 6.9mm (Screen)
- Weight: 183g
- Chipset: (7nm 64-bit Octa-Core Processor, 2.9GHz (Maximum Clock Speed) + 2.41GHz+ 1.7GHz), Snapdragon 885+
- Storage: 8GB 1256GB
- OS: Android 10
- SIM: One eSim and one Nano
- Camera: (Main) 12MP Ultra Wide Camera, Pixel size: 1.12μm, FOV: 123˚, F.No (aperture): F2.2 + 12MP Wide-angle Camera, Super Speed Dual Pixel AF, OIS, Pixel size: 1.4μm, FOV: 78˚, F.No (aperture): F1.8. (Front Camera) 10MP Selfie Camera, Pixel size: 1.22μm, FOV: 80˚, F.No (aperture): F2.4
- Battery: 3,300mAh dual battery
- Network & Connectivity: (Data) — Enhanced 2X2 MIMO, 5CA, LTE Cat.16 Up to 1.0Gbps Download, LTE Cat.13 Up to 150Mbps Upload, Up to 1.0Gbps Download / Up to 150Mbps Upload. (Wi-Fi) — Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (2.4/5GHz),VHT80 MU-MIMO,256QAM. (Bluetooth) — Bluetooth® v 5.0 (LE up to 2Mbps), ANT+, USB Type-C, NFC, Location (GPS, Galileo, Glonass, BeiDou)
- Sensor: Capacitive fingerprint sensor (side), Accelerometer, Barometer, Gyro sensor, Geomagnetic sensor, Hall sensor (digital, analog), Proximity sensor, RGB Light sensor
- Colours: Mirror purple, Mirro Black, Mirror Gold
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip Price and Availability
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip will be available in the US and Korea initially starting February 14 and will be priced at $1,380 ( approx N472,550)